WHAT IS STEM-UP PA™ Leadership for Academic Women Program?
STEM-UP PA™ Leadership for Academic Women is an intensive one-semester leadership and professional development program for STEM faculty designed to accelerate the career development and advancement of academic women in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), including social and health science fields. The program aims to increase retention of women in STEM by reducing isolation and preparing women for leadership positions.
The highly successful leadership development program, Leadership for Academic Women, was developed at Rutgers University, and STEM-UP PA™ has adapted the program to meet the needs of the faculty at institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania.
- Pre-workshop personal goal setting session
- One-on-one coaching conversations to help focus goals and resolve challenges
- A series of interactive workshops to develop skills
- Peer-learning groups during and post program to apply skills
- Networking with program participants and senior women scholars to help build alliances for continued support from the STEM community
This program is for female STEM faculty of all career levels. The cohort will consist of approximately 20 participants. Benefits to participants include:
- Clarity about their professional goals and how to achieve them
- Skill development in topics such as negotiation, leadership, teamwork, research, writing, and self-advocacy
- An expanded community of colleagues
- Strategies for enhanced work-life balance
- Awareness of their skill gaps in leadership
Full participation is important to the success of the program. By accepting to participate in the program you are making a commitment to attend each workshop as well as additional mentoring activities.
WHO IS INVOLVED
Our Fall 2012, Fall 2013, and Spring 2015 cohorts have included participants from across the STEM fields at the following institutions:
The cost of the semester-long program which includes:
- Three individual coaching sessions with a professional coach;
- Five half-day (for a total of 25 hours) interactive workshops on leadership styles, having a voice at the table, work-life balance, enhanced productivity, and negotiations;
- A peer learning circle of colleagues that will help you apply what you are learning throughout the program;
- A network of alumnae from the program that can support your personal and professional development over time.
The total cost for this program is $2,800. Again, we urge you to seek support from your institution. If the support is not available, we can work with you to set up a payment plan that will be manageable.
CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS
STEM-UP PA™ reserves the right to cancel or reschedule events and courses at its own discretion. Should a program be cancelled by the STEM-UP PA™ for any reason, a full refund will be issued. Cancellations received in writing to Ms. Yvonne Dunst (email@example.com) for individual registrants more than 7 days prior to the start of a program or event are eligible for a 50% refund of fees paid. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received from individual registrants 6 or less days prior to the start of the event.
After three highly successful cohorts in Fall 2012, Fall 2013, and Spring 2015, we are pleased to offer Leadership for Academic Women again to our STEM faculty in Pennsylvania.
- Read more about the workshops offered in Spring 2015, program methodology, and what other faculty are saying about the program: STEM-UP PA™ Leadership for Academic Women flyer 2015 and STEM-UP PA Leadership for Academic Women (aka OASIS) overview Fall 2015 (PDF)
STEM-UP PA™, Leadership for Academic Women Program: Fall 2015
Develop negotiation, leadership, & self-advocacy skills, and broaden your social and professional networks!
Leadership for Academic Women
Leadership for Academic Women is a program for female STEM faculty in Pennsylvania that supports career development and advancement through skills workshops, peer-learning groups, networking and coaching opportunities. The program is hosted by STEM-UP PA™ to increase the representation of women academics in STEM fields.
Workshops: Fall 2015
Note all workshops are Friday evening or Saturday.
|Understand and Cultivate Your Style in Working with and Leading Others||Beth Tracy||September 12||9:30 am – 2:30 pm|
|Being Heard Clearly at the Leadership Table and Beyond||Rhonda Hess||October 2||4:00 pm – 9:00 pm|
|Writing Procrastination and Resistance: How to Identify Your Writing Blocks And Move Through Them||TBA||October 24 (tentative date)||9:00 am – 2:00 pm|
|Work/Life Balance||Bilita Mattes||November 13||4:00 pm – 9:00 pm|
|Empowered Negotiations||Dale Fallon||December 5||9:30 am – 2:30 pm|
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the application process.
If you are interested in participating in this program or would like to nominate faculty to be involved, please contact Dr. Bilita “Bili” Mattes with STEM-UP PA™ at email@example.com.
LEADERSHIP FOR ACADEMIC WOMEN PROGRAM COMMITTEE
- Dr. Bilita Mattes, Provost and Chief Academic Officer, Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, STEM-UP PA™ Leadership Team
- Beth Tracy, Rutgers University Office for Promotion of Women in Science, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Dr. Kate McGivney, STEM-UP PA™ Leadership Team
- Ms. Lisa McGahren, Professional Coach