WHAT IS OASIS?
The Objective Analysis of Self and Institution Seminar (OASIS) is an intensive one-semester leadership and professional development program for STEM faculty designed to accelerate the career development and advancement of academic women in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) fields. The program aims to increase retention of women in STEM by reducing isolation and preparing women for leadership positions.
The highly successful OASIS program was developed at Rutgers University. The NSF-sponsored STEM-UP PA™ has adapted the program to meet the needs of the faculty at teaching-focused institutions in central Pennsylvania.
- Pre-workshop personal goal setting session
- One-on-one coaching conversations to help focus goals and resolve challenges
- A series of interactive workshops to develop skills
- Peer-mentoring groups during and post program to apply skills
- Networking with program participants and senior women scholars to help build alliances for continued support from the STEM community
This program is for female STEM faculty of all career levels. The cohort will consist of approximately 20 participants. Benefits to participants include:
- Clarity about their professional goals and how to achieve them
- Skill development in topics such as negotiation, leadership, teamwork, and self-advocacy
- An expanded community of colleagues
- Strategies for enhanced work-life balance
- Awareness of their skill gaps in leadership
Full participation is important to the success of the program. By accepting to participate in the OASIS program you are making a commitment to attend each workshop as well as additional mentoring activities.
WHO IS INVOLVED
Our Fall 2012 and Fall 2013cohorts have included participants from across the STEM fields at the following institutions:
Graphics of Involved Schools (OASIS)
CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS
STEM-UP PA™ reserves the right to cancel or reschedule events and courses at its own discretion. Should a program be cancelled by the STEM-UP PA™ for any reason, a full refund will be issued. Cancellations received in writing to Ms. Yvonne Dunst (firstname.lastname@example.org) for individual registrants more than 7 days prior to the start of a program or event are eligible for a 50% refund of fees paid. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received from individual registrants 6 or less days prior to the start of the event.
After two highly-successful OASIS sessions in Fall 2012 and Fall 2013, we are pleased to offer OASIS again to our STEM faculty in Pennsylvania.
- Read more about the workshops offered in Spring 2015, program methodology, and what other faculty are saying about the program: STEM-UP PA™ OASIS flyer 2015 and STEM-UP PA™ OASIS overview (PDF)
- Applications are due JANUARY 5, 2015 (NOTE deadline is extended): OASIS Application 2015
Note: Applications require a nomination letter from an organizational sponsor (e.g., department chair or dean).
STEM-UP PA™, OASIS: Spring 2015
Leadership and Professional Development Program
Develop negotiation, leadership, & self-advocacy skills, and broaden your social and professional networks!
Objective Analysis of Self and Institution Seminar (OASIS)
OASIS is a program for female STEM faculty in Central PA that supports career development and advancement through skills workshops, peer-mentoring, networking and coaching opportunities. The program is hosted by STEM-UP PA™, a National Science Foundation grant program to increase the representation of women academics in STEM fields. The program is offered in collaboration with Rutgers University.
Workshops: Spring 2015
Note all workshops are Friday evening or Saturday.
|Understand and Cultivate Your Style in Working with and Leading Others||Beth Tracy||February 7||9:30 am – 2:30 pm|
|Being Heard Clearly at the Leadership Table and Beyond||Rhonda Hess||February 27||4:00 pm – 9:00 pm|
|Writing Procrastination and Resistance:How to Identify Your Writing Blocks And Move Through Them||Kerry Ann Rockquemore||March 21||9:00 am – 2:00 pm|
|Creating Balance and Integrating Work and Life||Bilita Mattes||April 10||4:00 pm – 9:00 pm|
|Empowered Negotiations||Dale Fallon||May 2||9:30 am – 2:30 pm|
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about the application process.
If you are interested in participating in this program or would like to nominate faculty to be involved, please contact Dr. Sarah N. Bryant, STEM-UP PA™ Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Bili Mattes, Provost and Chief Academic Officer, Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
- Beth Tracy, Rutgers OASIS Program Director, Rutgers University Office for Promotion of Women in Science, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Dr. Sarah N. Bryant, STEM-UP PA™ Project Manager